Cheesy Brussel sprout casserole is cheesy and quite simply trickery. Why trickery? This creamy casserole can get anyone to eat brussel sprouts and like it! When you have kids or other family members that turn up their nose to brussel sprouts, break out the bacon, cheese, and cream. Trickery at it’s finest!
Here are the ingredients:
1 It all starts with bacon. Heat your cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) over medium high heat. Cook 2 pieces of bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon on to paper towel. Reserve the grease in the skillet. Chop the bacon in to small pieces.
Cut the hard end off the brussel sprouts and cut them in half. Add the brussels to the skillet with the reserved bacon grease. Sear the sprouts for about 7 to 10 minutes until they all have a golden brown crust on them. Remove the brussels to a plate.
2 Cheese sauce is my favorite. Lower the heat to medium. Do not clean the skillet, we want all those bits of flavor. These brown bits are called fond. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt it. When it is melted, whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour to create a roux. When you see wet sand, stir in minced garlic. Then whisk in 1/2 cup of room temperature heavy cream. Once it is fully incorporated, add a cup and half of heavy cream. That’s 2 cups of cream in all. Whisk until creamy.
3 Finish the cheese sauce. Turn the heat down to low and whisk in the shredded cheese until it is all melted. Turn off the heat.
4 All together now. Add the bacon and brussel sprouts to the sauce. Mix it all together. Taste the sauce for salt and pepper.
5 Oven time. Place the skillet in a 350 preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes until bubbling around the edges.
This yummy side dish is ready for dinner!
Cheesy Brussel Sprouts Casserole
- 2 thick cut slices bacon
- pound of brussel sprouts
- Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 italian cheese or white cheddar
- preheat the oven to 400
- cook the bacon in cast iron or oven safe skillet
- remove crispy bacon to paper towels and chop when cooled
- reserve the bacon grease
- cut the ends of sprouts and cut in half
- saute sprouts in bacon grease over medium high heat until golden brown, 8-10 minutes
- remove brussels to plate with bacon
- turn heat down to medium
- melt the butter in same skillet
- whisk in flour until roux is formed
- add garlic and whisk
- add 1/2 cup of cream and whisk until incorporated
- whisk in remaining cream (1 1/2 cups)
- once the sauce is thickened, add cheese
- whisk until all cheese is melted
- turn off the heat and add bacon with brussels to the sauce
- stir together and add salt and pepper
- bake in the oven for 15 minutes until bubbly around edges